01 January 2009

The Wall Crumbles

In a manic fit last week, I decided to go at the front retaining wall with a sledgehammer. The wall, pictured below, has driven me crazy since we bought the place. The POs had the right idea, but it was just executed poorly--the bricks were wobbly, the old sidewalk cement base was u.g.l.y., and one half of it was left unfinished. It was time for it to go.



Here's half the pile of rubble.



Now, I'll have to figure out what to do up there by the curb. I have a ton of ideas drawn out for terracing and future walls and plantings, but I'm afraid they'll have to wait until the money tree bears fruit. Only so many gardening projects at one time, unfortunately...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for the money tree to bear fruit too. Meanwhile, it's fun to see what a sledgehammer can do, and that's free!

Mary Beth said...

For every gardening task that involves a visit to the garden center or dirt depot, I can come up with a dozen tasks that don't cost a dime - and they always make my garden a prettier place to be.

Lee said...

Very good bit of wisdom!

Diana said...

Lee - so, what were you visualizing as you were swinging that sledgehammer? I'll bet you were sore afterward, but you had a good time doing it. We spend a lot of time building new things in the garden -- but sometimes it's fun to demolish something, isn't it?!

Lee said...

That guy that almost ran me off the road yesterday...um...

I mean, I'm envisioning a pea gravel terrace, clean conrete retaining wall, smooth limestone pavers leading to the front door, a modern prairie meadow to the south and a pea gravel seating area to the north. Perhaps an arbor greeting guests as they arrive, laden with Texas wisteria. Lights dangling from the tree...

Ah, dreams!

Patience Meliora Blythe said...

Hi! I know its been a while, but is the pile of rubble still on the curb? I need some filler material for a cairn in my yard....thanks!!!

Lee said...

way gone!