03 November 2008

Californians Are Friends of the Topiary

On a recent trip to the Bay Area, I came to the conclusion after many walks through neighborhoods that Californians are not afraid of topiary. Lots and lots of homes, institutions and public landscapes are filled with square hedges, ball shrubs and any number of crazy topiary shapes. I'm really liking the topiary thing at the moment, but mainly when used in moderation.

And I must say, that our friends Jay and Amie have a topiary in the front yard of their Oakland house that just may take the cake.



Isn't it amazing? This beastie was left for them from the POs. They were pledging to rip it out when they bought the house a year or so ago, but I think they've softened to it a bit. It's totally outrageous and really cool.

J & A spent some backbreaking (literally) time transforming their small front yard from sod grass to a really nice array of perennials, succulents and grasses, including agaves, artichokes and lavenders. It's all very California...especially with the topiary. Here's a view from the other side.



[Shout out to Jay and Amie. Nice to see ya'll and thanks for the hospitality!]

1 comment:

Jen Ambrose Cotter said...

I love the Grackle! I found your blog searching for a picture of (and formal name for) purple mustard - which I also grow. And after enjoying several posts, I get to this one and wonder if Jay and Amie are the "Bumatullies" - old friends of mine who live in Monterey. (It wouldn't be the first time we've had random run-ins with each other's friends). I recently started writing about my "Bipartisan Victory Garden" in Gainesville.

My friend Amanda (who sometimes answers to "the Chicken Whisperer") moved to Austin recently and just started a blog on soil science: http://thedirtonsoil.blogspot.com. I'll be sure to tell her about your site.

Cheers!