02 June 2011

Back Gate and Pergola: And Done

And...complete. The back gate and pergola project has come (basically) to an end, with only minimal cursing and mis-measurements (oops). I really love working on these projects with my partner in crime, John. It's truly a pleasure to work along side someone on a project like this. To share happiness and frustration, to analyze the technical issues that arise, and to see it to completion. Happy go lucky, yo.

Hello sweet shade and beautiful shadows!



This pergola completely transforms our back pathway area into a full-on space. It's shady and cooler and the trickling sound of the new fountain just beckons me in every time I arrive home.



It's a great way to enter the backyard, and so very nice to be able to not have the hot afternoon sun blasting down on us and the house.


There are certainly temptations to grow vines on this baby, or put in chairs and a bistro table, or hang hammocks. But we are going to try our damdest to resist some of that in order to keep the space simple.

Complete non sequitur: the new Death Cab for Cutie album is just.really.good. "We are all the same, underneath the sycamores." Indeed.

Just a reminder to self: here is the before and after shot.



There were some fears expressed before we started - would it be too shady? and etc. - but they were completely unfounded. It worked out just great...whoo hoo!

13 comments:

Claudia Fabiana said...

It all looks great. Exactly the style I like too. Will you have some plants growing on the pergola?

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful. I am so $%#@!! envious! Laura

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful!

RBell said...

Looking really good - great finished project!

Mamaholt said...

I love it too. I LOVE the shade and the shadows. Good work, gentlemen.

LindaCTG said...

Phenomenal! Just gorgeous. I love the shadows. And the fountain. And everything.

Suzanne H said...

I just saw your beautiful garden while watching Central Texas Gardener online. Funny, I had also just subscribed to the RSS feed for your blog. I am in Fort Worth, but love reading the Austin area gardeners' blogs and of course watching CTG. Congratulations on a gorgeous and peaceful space!

Lee said...

Hi Suzanne! Thanks for visiting...and all the way from Ft. Worth!

Cat said...

Simply fabulous!

Lori said...

I love it! I wish I had the technical know-how to do projects like this around my own place.

Angelina Garcia said...

I like the idea of matching the pergola with your back gate. Your outdoor somewhat reminds me of traditional Japanese homes. I'm glad that you pushed through your plan. Having feat in projects like this is understandable, especially if you want to bring your vision to life. It's clear that you're happy with the results. All's well that ends well! :D

Unknown said...

Pergolas are definitely a great design feature but I appreciate them more for the cover it provides, whether from the sun or the rain. Whether it's over a deck, as a patio cover, or over an entryway like yours, they definitely make an outdoor space look very cozy. Showtime Vinyl

Colingwood said...

Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. pergola