04 January 2011

design: Water Bowls On Our Minds
























If the birds have anything to say about it, we can't have too many water sources for them in the yard. The mockingbirds are regular visitors to my first water bowl installation up front.

Since making that wobbly, wabi sabi bowl, I learned a thing or two about making a concrete bird bath. In my first try, I used the wrong concrete and the proportion of the inside to outside just didn't quite satisfy. It's obviously perfectly functional for the birds, however, and it's placed up front where I can watch them drink from the front window.

But this is my latest effort at making a water bowl.

I have to admit that I'm rather pleased with the results! The concrete is smooth and the shape is proportional and so very mod. The base (made from a traffic cone mold - John's great idea) holds this bowl up for those birds that don't want to sit near the ground. I'd originally conceived of making these as planters, actually, so this one may be converted to that if I don't make any more of them.

We also received this fabulous water bowl from John's sister, and it's giving me all sorts of ideas.



It's beautiful with the imprinted fern and creative use of pea gravel. I also like it's shallowness, which I think the critters will take to as well. In this one, I don't need to provide a rescue rock (as with my deeper bowls), since the critters are unlikely to drown. (Thanks Lorry!)

9 comments:

Carey Brown Strombotne said...

I just love the bowl, such lucky birdsl! I'm very curious about the how-to's. What kind of cement did you use, and what is the mold made out of? Would greatly appreciate any advice!

Anonymous said...

Dear Grackle,

PLEASE do tell what cement you used & where did you get the mold for that bowl????? I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Lee said...

Once the weather clears, I'll make another one and post a "how to" on this!

Anonymous said...

please PLEASE DO!!!! i AM DYING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookie said...

i too would love to see how your next one turned out & read about how you did it. i've been thinking of making one as well, but had same concerns i read about in your first one.

piontuseo said...

Solar Christmas Lights - Sogrand has solar-powered Christmas light options, including solar string lights,solar christmas decorations jar lights and solar garden lights to add colorful and joyful atmosphere to your home and yard!

Here is a link for you of this Best Solar Christmas Lights in 2019 Collection Storefront: https://solarchristmaslights2019.home.blog/

seo said...

Hi guys, I would recommend the high quality Solar christmas lights which I bought using now with great fun, You can use it for Christmas Decorations and Party to get charming lighting and enjoy a great Christmas atmosphere around your house.

Here is the beautiful Solar Christmas Lights on Amazon I like so much: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+christmas+lights&me=A39PH15OSSYYUG&ref=nb_sb_noss

Anonymous said...

I have read your post, it’s very informative and helpful too for readers. Thanks for sharing your knowledgeable content with us.Outdoor spotlights have transformed our backyard into a stunning nighttime oasis. These lights provide both security and ambiance, making our outdoor space more inviting and safe. I highly recommend them for anyone looking to enhance their outdoor living experience.

LAV said...

Hi, This is a very Impressive and also very informative post. Transformed my backyard with stunning outdoor lighting installation. The expertly placed fixtures create a warm ambiance, enhancing both aesthetics and safety. Can't wait for more creative ideas to illuminate other areas.