09 December 2010

weather: Drought on the Horizon, Again?

Well, here we go again. It hasn't rained in Austin since September to any great extent. And now, it looks like we might be headed for another drought. From the Statesman:
State climatologist John Nielsen-Gammon told the Houston Chronicle that continuing dry weather is likely to persist at least into the spring. Nielsen-Gammon, who's also a professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas A&M University, says "it's probably going to get worse before it gets better."

The U.S. Drought Monitor on Thursday indicated 85 percent of Texas is abnormally dry, compared to about 29 percent a year ago.
I've got the perfect solution: Why don't I get rid of all of my plants (which are relatively drought tolerant anyway) and plant all cacti? The very moment I would do that, I can tell you, the rains would pour and pour and my cacti would rot in the damp clay.

No comments: